Anthony Joshua has announced his long-awaited US debut against Jarrell Miller and vows to produce an explosive performance at Madison Square Garden on June 1.
Britain’s unified champion stopped Alexander Povetkin in September at Wembley Stadium, extending his perfect professional record to 22 victories with 21 knockouts, and he next defends his WBA ‘super’, IBF and WBO belts against Brooklyn’s unbeaten ‘Big Baby’ Miller at the iconic New York venue.
Joshua will follow in the footsteps of heavyweight greats such as Joe Louis, Joe Frazier, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield and Muhammad Ali when he crosses the Atlantic to battle Miller at ‘The Mecca of Boxing’.
“June 1st, I am heading to ‘The Big Apple’ and I plan to embrace the culture and leave with an appetite for more,” said Joshua. “I will be fighting Jarrell Miller at the legendary Madison Square Garden.
“It has been an honour and a blessing to fight at some of the best venues in the world at home in the UK, not least Wembley Stadium, but the time has come to head across the Atlantic and defend my heavyweight titles in the USA.
“I am looking forward to taking on another challenge with a good boxer and a brilliant talker.
“It will be an exciting fight, I will leave nothing to chance, and plan on dismantling Miller in style to make my mark.”
Miller has defeated former world title challengers Gerald Washington, Mariusz Wach, Johann Duhaupas and Tomasz Adamek on his way to 23 victories, including 20 stoppages, and intends to ruin Joshua’s first appearance in America.
“AJ is making a huge mistake coming over here to fight me in my own backyard,” said Miller.
“He wants to announce himself on the American stage, but all he’s doing is delivering me those belts by hand. It’s dog eat dog in the ring and this dog has got a bigger bite. He’ll be leaving New York empty-handed.
“This is the fight that I’ve been chasing all my life. On June 1, I’m going to achieve the thing I was born to do and win the heavyweight championship of the world.
“That punk AJ is standing in the way of my dreams and on June 1 he’s getting run the hell over.”
The formidable 300lb challenger sparked a heated confrontation with Joshua at a press conference last year, and has continually called for a fight after linking up with promoter Eddie Hearn.